When we hear the words “air conditioning”, we immediately think cool, amazing air that just makes everyone groan and say a long “ahhhh…” Air conditioning is a process that uses air conditioners to alter properties in the air. The aim is usually to distribute the already conditioned air in buildings, cars and other occupied spaces. By definition, air conditioning is a system that uses an apparatus or a group of devices for making the air clean and control it’s qualities to make it even better. An air conditioner, therefore,is tasked with removing hot air and replacing it with humid and cooler air that can be controlled by the user. However, there are different types of air conditioners that serve this purpose. Here are some of them.
Mini-split air conditioners
Mini-split conditioners are the ductless systems that have two main components; indoor air handler unit and an outdoor compressor/condenser. These two main components are linked by a conduit which is the resident of the power cable, the suction tubing, the refrigerant tubing and a condensate drain. They are ideal for rooms that can’t have ducts extended. Mini-split air conditioners are the most recommended air conditioners due to a plethora of advantages.
Windows air conditioners
Windows air conditioners are designed to offer cooling to multiple rooms by installation on a standard double-hung window, casement windows or fit in walls. When shopping for a window air conditioner it is important to consider the installation, the cooling capacity, the energy efficiency, the maintenance and the electric requirements.
Central air conditioning
A central air conditioning will use a system of supply and return ducts to circulate cool air to its zone. The supply ducts and registers are usually openings that are made on the walls, the floor or the zones ceiling. These are the agents that carry the warmer air to the conditioner and the cooled air to the zone.
Portable air conditioners
Portable air conditioners are mobile cooling systems that are practical for single rooms. The self-contained system comes with an easy to install kit, sits on the floor and can be moved from room to room especially if the unit has a set of wheels.
Why use mini-split air conditioners
- The mini-split conditioners are small and also flexible, which makes them ideal for cooling or heating of rooms that are individual or separate. They are flexible in that a unit can possibility have even four zones which can have one central outdoor unit. The number of units however will depend on the requirement in terms of heating or cooling.
- Mini splits conditioners are normally very easy to install and the compressor can be located in a more inconspicuous location.
- Since mini-splits conditioners are normally ductless, energy is conserved because none is lost through the duct work which can account for over 30% loss especially when the ducts are placed in open places.
- The mini-split air conditioners are favored due to their flexibility in comparison to other types of air conditioners when it comes to options regarding the interior designs. The indoor air handlers can thus be;
- Mounted on into a drop ceiling
- Suspended from a ceiling
- Hang on a wall
Need more info? Check out our other posts!
Mini Split Air Conditioner Rebate Programs
Sizing Guide For A Mini Split Air Conditioner